Life is hard. There are ups and downs, laughter and tears. You are not perfect and nor is anyone else. Friends will come and go. There is so much to do, see, taste and as parents, we only want the best for you. If I could wrap you in cotton wool to protect you from any discomfort, I would be tempted… but I also know that we learn from our mistakes, from the pain and from failure – so go out and do your best. That is all I ever ask… “YOUR” best, not anyone else’s. You don’t need to be first, but putting in effort and hard work will always pay off!
I don’t claim to know everything, but I would like to share the following with you:
10 Life Lessons
- Love with all your heart. Show your loved ones how you feel in actions & words as much as you can. Putting yourself out there might get your heart broken in the future, but you will learn valuable lessons and be assured that you have given your all.
- Life experiences are better than material items. The latest smart phone will age, but memories (and the photos) will last so much longer. Try new things or foods. Travel and explore.
- Keep a nest egg. Save a little bit of money whenever you can and be prepared for rainy days (unexpected expenses pop up at the worst times!). Saving for a special item, occasion or travel adventure adds to the excitement of it all.
- Avoid debt. Almost impossible to buy property without incurring debt – but for everything else, save for it. A prized position or a travel experience will leave you with a longer feeling of happiness than when you need to return to a negative bank balance.
- Embrace education. Nobody can ever take knowledge away from you. A degree/diploma is “only” a piece of paper that says that you have the ability to learn, but it does provide a foot in the door. Accept every opportunity for growth & learning with open arms.
- Laugh. Laughter truly is the best medicine and is infectious… Make sure you giggle or belly laugh every single day. And smile… take every opportunity to smile at those around you, it doesn’t cost anything.
- Sharing is caring. Whether it is a moment of your time to listen to someone who is sad, a bite of your sandwich with your hungry best friend or a euro to the person begging at the street corner. If you can … make every opportunity to share the love in whatever form it is required. There is no greater reward than the feeling inside.
- Better to be kind, than to be right. An old saying – but so true. Kindness outweighs beauty, intelligence and humour every time. Which leads me to…
- Never fight dirty. Fighting is a normal cycle of life and no relationship is without its rocky roads. Avoid name calling or mud slinging – If the other person does, accept it and do not retaliate because anything said in the heat of the moment can not be taken back. You can glue a broken dish back together, but the cracks will always be visible.
- Learn to forgive & don’t be afraid to apologize. You are not perfect and nor is anyone else. Your actions and words will at some point hurt someone else & the same will be done to you. Sometimes you will be able to rectify the friendship with a genuine apology and sometimes you will need to learn to move on. Learn to let go of negative feelings and thoughts and rather hold onto happy memories. Every life cycle has good & bad turns, the truly positive aspects will always weather the storm and come out stronger.